With a lot of the world working towards 50 mbps country wide by 2017-2018 is showing how far behind manitoba really is.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Recently after doing some online post on reddit and other online forums i have recently found that there are a handful of countries already rolling out with plans to bring 50 meg speeds counrty wide by 2017-2018 and bigger countrys having plans to be 50 meg wide by 2020 atleast, is really starting to show how far behind manitoba is in rural areas i posted pictures of my current speeds seen here http://imgur.com/bMJnoDp  on said topics and i think only 2 other people out of 1000-1500 reddit comments said they have the same speeds and they so happen to be from a rural part of Canada. So atleast i know it aint manitoba alone. This is bull that we have to pay the same premium price as a 50meg user for barley 3 megs of net power.

That's not even the worst of it on rainy days like today it goes even slower, last night i kid you not we where running at 13kbps Now im going to get the copy past response about costs and people per area, this doesn't even my "unlimited data" which gets throttled at 15gb. throttling is one of the most scumbagy bullshit practices out there right now. Anyways my opinion as a ong time customer doesn't matter and im reay for the copy paste responses.
Photo of Mitch Fontaine

Mitch Fontaine

• 394 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Pain in the ass.

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Wally

Wally

• 3,518 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
As a rural Manitoban, barely outside of Winnipeg, I sympathize with your predicament. Being close enough to a tower is one issue, but having peak hour congestion reduce your full price service to a crawl (kbps) is, unfortunately, all too common an experience. I will even go as far as to say that Manitoba is even further behind all other provinces in this country. Recent articles from the CBC and PC Magazine also confirm this observation. I do not know too many people that would find this acceptable! I can only hope that Bell is willing to make the investment that mts is not! 

It was not that long ago that mts offered a truly unlimited service that was not throttled at all. Then they crippled your service and implemented this restriction, not in the terms of the service contract or any policy, but hidden in their FAQ section. It is because of this exact same misrepresentation that many ISP's in the US were sued for millions of dollars by multiple government agencies.
(Edited)
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,748 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

In terms of your observations you are not far off the point. The challenge is MTS is struggling to offer 50 mbps service in the most network friendly urban environments. The problem is not limited to MTS either, This excellent, short video on the state of Internet service in Bowen Island, BC from the OpenMedia submission to the CRTC's Talk Broadband hearings sums up the issues very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veStCemQClg

In terms of the cost to provide levels of service the equipment, cables, etc cost the same if they service 100 addresses per km in an urban setting or 10 addresses per km in a rural setting yet rural residents pay a significantly smaller portion of the cost to provide the service they receive. Trade offs have to be made between cost to provide service, cost the customer pays and level of service offered. Without significant advancements to lower the cost to provide service the trade off is balancing the cost to the customer and the level of service offered.

In terms of the so called "unlimited Internet" I had one of those contracts about 10 years ago and even then the terms of service included a "fair use" clause. Going even further back MTS had the same type of "fair use" clause in their broadband terms of service. It is the "fair use" clause which is being used to limited the speed of data. There was no misrepresentation on the part of MTS as they always made it clear the quantity of data is what is unlimited, not the speed.

Photo of Wally

Wally

• 3,518 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The wireless plan was first called "truly unlimited" and there was no throttling or limitation of ANY kind. According to the advertising, you could download, listen to music, or stream as much as you like. Throttling was introduced later, followed approximately a year later, with the the name change to "unlimited data". This is when the first mention of any throttling threshold was made, only by sneaking it into the FAQ section. As to the so called "fair use" clause, the service contract, or any other policy, there was and still is, absolutely NO mention of any throttling or any threshold limitations, only vague unquantified references. This same unethical and misleading practice is precisely why many ISP's in the US were sued. Because of this, the name of the residential plan was changed, yet again, to "flat rate", followed approximately a year later by the same name change to business plans . I would most definitely call this misrepresentation. 
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

• 2,610 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Unlimited data is still applicable once the data throttling point has been reached since the data has always been unlimited.  The speed of service is what becomes throttled and lowered.  Once you are throttled you are still able to use as much data as you as since it's still unlimited and you won't experience any overage charges, it just becomes slower to do so.