Wireless Protection Program

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
MTS offers the Wireless Protection Program on cell phones when you sign new contracts.  There is extended warranty, enhanced program, and complete program, all with a different monthly amount on your bill (most likely $3, $7 or $9 a month, respectively (talking Tier 2 devices)).  What experiences or what seems to be the most popular plan for customers (asking users of the site, as well as mods).  I would think either the enhanced or complete.
Sure I can go read what they all provide on the site.  But what advantages does say the complete program have over the enhanced program, and why should I pay for the $9 plan vs the $7 plan, a month?
Which ones have users chosen (if they have) and why one over the other?
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 3,638 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

• 12,824 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I looked at that option to when I got my IPhone 5S I opted for AppleCare instead as I like dealing directly with Apple for support. I am wondering what advantage or disadvantage the protection program provides vs AppleCare.dont mean to hijack this thread but seems like an appropriate place to put it as I wondered the same thing for a while now. Thanks
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 1,578 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
When I got my iPhone I went with AppleCare as well. Much easier to deal with Apple, and if you figure it out, $7 a month really adds up, especially if you never end up using the warranty.
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

• 2,610 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Well the same could be said for life insurance and car insurance.  It's a monthly cost that you hope to not use but when you do you're glad you have it
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Well how does MTS handle iPhone issues should you have problem under this plan! I don't see them having the same tools that apple technicians have!
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

Well software issues rarely happen and most issues are created by user error.  So in that regard Apple Coverage could be better.  Myself and my family have never had to go into an apple store for a software issue and we've had apple products for 4+ years.

But as for each plans coverage, Apple Care covers 2 accidental damages and charges you $79.00 for each repair.  Apple Care does not cover water damage or lost/stolen devices.  MTS WPP covers accidental damage, water damage, and lost/stolen for a set deductible based off device costs.  So each service has its benefit and disadvantage but it depends on your lifestyle and the coverage that you need.
(Edited)
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Also keep in mind they do cover water damage for 79 dollar fee
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

Sorry Gordon but you are incorrect,  Please see this post on Apple's website: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204104
Liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty
Service for the liquid damage to an iPhone or iPod isn't covered by the Apple one year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).
(Edited)
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Well that really is a disappointment! I could of sworn that liquid damage was accidental damage. I never have had to use that aspect of AppleCare but I have had other problems such as problems with my home button that Apple replaced my whole screen no charge few months back.
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

I wonder if it's a possibility of having both AppleCare plus and MTS protection plan. I do see the advantage of both!
Photo of Jerrycan

Jerrycan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-sup...+ does cover water damage. Read the exclusions on the current + protection site. Confirmed in Apple Store.
Photo of James Bond

James Bond

• 70 Points
Bell MTS is a fraud!! They offer us this protection BS crap without letting us know that yiu have to pay $200 deductable.
Photo of Justin

Justin

Actually it's in the contract about the deductible. Just like any sort of insurance, you pay a deductible. There's no hidden
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,970 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's very much disclosed upfront. I know I have looked at the plan cost, the deductible and the likely contract buy out and decided it likely wouldn't make sense for me. Typically it would mean you a breaking a phone about every 12 months.
Photo of James Bond

James Bond

• 70 Points
Well, its not disclosed to us. And not all insurance have deductable and if i can as much as possible i don't buy insurance if they have deductable. Just like when i purchased insurance for my tv and speakers, for my fridge and electric oven and i can go on and on for you. So don't tell me that it was disclosed coz im not stupid. Or probably i am for trusting the Bell MTS sales agent.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Not sure who "us" is but it definitely is disclosed to customers like myself and it, by law, is written into the contract you are given to read before signing.
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

My iPhone had water damage and it wouldn't turn on. AppleCare replaced it for my for $49 at the time. No questions asked about how it got damaged, just a simple replacement.
Photo of elle

elle

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The great thing about MTS's protection program is most of the options cover lost/ stolen devices unlike AppleCare which does NOT cover lost or stolen devices.
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

I would really like to know though, how easy it would be to file any kind of claim with them, especially a list or stolen phone. I can only imagine how hard of a time it would be.
Photo of Justin

Justin

So was wondering further, as hadn't gotten anyone's real opinion on which MTS Protection Plan is which, which is the one users seem to get?

What experiences or what seems to be the most popular plan for customers (asking users of the site, as well as mods).  I would think either the enhanced or complete.
Sure I can go read what they all provide on the site.  But what advantages does say the complete program have over the enhanced program, and why should I pay for the $9 plan vs the $7 plan, a month? 
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

I bought a Samsung S6 Edge+ a few weeks ago and went with the $9 protection plan for complete coverage.  I did this because my buyout now on the device is over $600 if I were to break/lose/damage the phone and needed to replace it.  When my contract has reach a point when my buyout is lower then the early termination fee I will be removing it off my account since it's really not practical to have it on.

As for the difference between the two you get water damage coverage and manufacturer fault/error coverage with the $9 dollar plan.  If you never travel, and never have your phone around water you can save the $2 a month and go with the $7 coverage but I went with the higher plan for more peace of mind.
Photo of Jason

Jason

I would still say to save your money and be careful with your phone. More than likely you won't end up using the extended warranty.
Photo of Tennille

Tennille, Social Media Coordinator

• 15,526 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Peter Parker and Jason both make some really good points that I agree with, it definitely depends on your usage and what kind of environment you use your phone around. :)
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

I haven't done a recent evaluation but with the rapidly escalating costs of phones and the static costs of these plans the case in their favour is getting a lot stronger. It used to be the cost of the plan and the deductible would have most likely exceeded your replacement cost.

For example, a S6 Edge+ has an upfront cost of $370 on a $75/month plan. Insurance is $9/month ($216) and a replacement cost is $200. That means you are out $46 over the upfront cost on a new phone but you also don't need to buyout the contract so your likely ahead. It is rare to see a phone make it 24 months without some sort of damage that could be claimed under this. The question becomes at what point is the damage so serve that getting out of it is worth $416? You would also need to do some research on phone repair costs to determine if it might be cheaper to pay for a repair out of pocket over the warranty cost.

Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

• 4,326 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
do you think the 9/month manufacturer fault would cover cosmetic faults as well... such as the chipping of the frame on most of the S4's?
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Just a guess but usually warranty claims focus on functionality of the device. This means a purely cosmetic issue with chipping of the frame might not be reason for a replacement. That said, if the plan includes replacement for a "lost" phone if the issue is that bad you could just say it is "lost" and pay the fee needed.
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

This is also considered insurance fraud and you could be fined/jailed for it so I wouldn't recommend doing this at all.
Photo of Jason

Jason

I would really like to know what kind of proof is needed for a lost device claim. Otherwise what would stop people from making a claim and having 2 phones?
Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

I believe that the "lost" phone gets blocked by all cellular companies in North America so you would essentially get a glorified iPod.
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,142 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The IMEI number associated with each unit would get blocked making the "lost" handset unusable.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

My point wasn't to make a false claim but rather than phones are easily misplaced making them "lost". That said, if they are willing to accept a report of a lost phone without a lengthy process to prove it is lost they are also not likely to spend much time questioning a replacement request for other reasons, ie challenges holding onto the network, etc.

Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

• 4,326 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I agree CoryB, but not sure I want to spend $190 at this point when my contract is over in 3 months.