Wireless protection plan for IPhone

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
Yesterday I bought my new iPhone 6 and for the first time I am choosing to skip AppleCare and just use the 9 dollar plan. Few questions I would like some clarification on.

1. I am to deal directly with Apple for all software/device concerns for first year? Correct? And should I notify MTS if the hardware is repaired/replaced?

2. i was told in the event my device is lost/stolen and while I am waiting for the replacement to be shipped I can borrow a loaner phone from MTS?

3. For as long as I pay $9 a month for warranty I am covered? For example I want to keep this device longer then the contract maybe say 1 or 2 years more. Then I will continue to be covered?

I decided to post these questions for my own information and for future reference for other customers in case these questions come up for them as well.

Thanks
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

• 12,774 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tennille

Tennille, Social Media Coordinator

• 15,522 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your post, gordon1111! 

I will have a Wireless Expert reach out to you. :) 

Tennille 
Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Official Rep

• 4,890 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Gordon!

Hope you're doing well!

You are right, any and all concerns with your iPhone within the manufacturer's warranty period must be dealt with an Apple Authorized Service providers to perform all service requests. (e.g. Apple retail store, online self serve or Apple contact centre.)
If you're not able to visit one of those locations you will be required to work directly with Apple to have your device serviced and you may be required to mail-in your device. Should you be provided a replacement of any kind, you should advise us so that we can update to make sure we have the right information on your file. 

If you subscribe to the level of protection that covers loss/stolen situations, yes you will be provided a loaner phone from a Connect store in the time in between making your claim, paying your deductible and receiving your replacement device from the Insurance provider.  As long as you pay the monthly service charge on your account you are able to proceed with a claim whether or not you are on contract. In any event of making a claim you will be required to pay a deductible in order to proceed with the completion of the claim.

Thanks,
Gillian
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Thanks Gillian!

What about warranty claims after the warranty like battery malfunction etc. how is that handled? Will it still cost the same 200 deductible? Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Official Rep

Official Response
Anytime Gordon,

If you have an issue that falls outside of your manufacturer's warranty during the first 12 months - you would have to proceed with an insurance claim. In any occurrence of making a claim the deductible is 200.00 

Cheers,
Gillian
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Thanks Gillian for all your help! :)
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Hey Gillian,

Another question ,

I see the $7.00 wireless protection plan vs the $9.00 does the 7 dollar not cover malfunction? So for example it will cover loss , theft and physical damage? And if that is correct can a customer on the 9 dollar one switch to the 7 dollar one at anytime and vice versa? I am pondering getting AppleCare as I have 60 days to do so. In my opinion the MTS warrenty seems to in some situations complement the AppleCare in some cases so I would likely do both of them to have complete coverage!

Thanks so much,
Gordon!
(Edited)
Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Official Rep

Hey Gordon, 

The Complete program for a monthly fee of $9.00 covers your device for accidental damage (including liquid damage) loss, theft and malfuction on the handset after the manufacturer's warranty expires. While the Enhanced program for $7.00 monthly only covers for accidental damage, loss and theft.

You can choose to swap between the two within the first 30 days of your contract only. After those 30 days you're locked into the feature that you've selected.

Cheers,
Gillian
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Thanks Gillian! Question - do you ever see customers have both the MTS warrenty as well as AppleCare combined?
Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Official Rep

Honestly, it probably happens from time to time. We don't have access to see whom subscribes to AppleCare.

It comes down to a matter of personal preference.

- Gillian
(Edited)
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Thanks Gillian! :)
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Gordon,
Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but with the insurance, you may or may not receive a refurbished phone. Not something people always disclose if not asked. Never dealt with Apple before, have Apple care on my Apple Watch, but not on anything else.. no clue how Apple repairs/replaces devices, but hope this info is good to know as well. And with this insurance ie cracking your phone screen you must file your claim within 60 days. Hope this info helps.
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

With AppleCare Apple will fix the phone in store. In cases where they can't repair it they will give you a replacement unit. They like the MTS insurance can't guarantee new devices but some could be refurbished. The apple store employees don't know which devices are new or used. I didn't get AppleCare yet because I couldn't afford the extra $129. I will likely be purchasing it though then reducing the MTS one to $7.00 a month. I had a scare this past year where my iphone was stolen at work but was found down the road when I put my work number on my display. Luckily my phone was returned within the hour! If that were to happen again I likely couldn't afford to replace it so the insurance is a no brainer for me.
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

just an update.  I actually ended up forgetting about the Apple care and as such unable to purchase it anymore which to be honest this time around I am okay with. To me it didnt make sense at least this time around because we are not on 3 year contracts any more so the one year manufacturer warranty is half the contract and if we did have 3 year contract there would of been a year without coverage anyway.  

I do however notice that many of the repairs should anything happen are still cheaper then using the insurance.  for example a cracked screen is only $139 which is cheaper than it would be to use insurance.  but if it is totally broken the out of warranty apple repair is $369 which in this case the insurance is $200 which is better.   All comparisons are based on the Iphone 6.  other iphones could have different pricing.  

so in all I made the right choice this time around with the Wireless Protection Program. and even at this time I dont have the extra $129 to spend on the applecare so its not worth it.  

Thanks,
Gordon
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

I see Rogers recently made some positive changes to its Brightstar Protection any word if BellMTS will add the same additional benefits? Here’s a link to it on mobilesyrup https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/02/ro...
Photo of Justin F

Justin F, Official Rep

• 876 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello gordon1111!

We will be happy to pass along your question with respect to our Protection Plan! 

Thanks for being an active member of our online community!

Have a great day! :)
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Hey Justin I see the wireless protection program will be getting a $3.00 increase effective April 1 2018 any word if the program will be enhanced given the increase as that would be way better for the customers if there is enhancements coming. Thanks.
Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Official Rep

Hey Gordon,

We're definitely looking into your inquiry on if/what is changing with the increase of price and we'll let you know as soon as we have further information.

Thanks,
Gillian