When will MTS offer 150 Mbps with 150Mbps download and 15Mbps upload like Shaw is starting to offer

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Shaw just called be and offered me 150Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload for 79.99 per month on a 2 yr contract.

Until MTS can get Fibre Optics to us are they planning on offering Internet at 150 Mbps any time soon to copete with Shaw.

This price from Shaw is just for internet.
Photo of acamara

acamara

• 876 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,218 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My question would be can Shaw actually  deliver that speed?

I keep hearing stories of Shaw not being able to deliver their lower speeds because the local node gets saturated evenings, weekends and in the summer when the kids are home from school.
Photo of acamara

acamara

• 876 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Very good question I have a friend on Shaw who plans to sign up and he agreed to allow me to go to his place to check the speeds
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,218 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
but unless he is on the same shaw node as you, you may get different results. 

Short of being on the same side of the same street there is no way to tell as far as I know.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

• 9,794 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Shaw is pretty good at fixing node congestion issues pretty fast and it offering credits if they can't deliver the speeds. Had this happen when I was a Shaw customer and they offered me a discount till the node was fixed in my area.
Photo of Wally

Wally

• 3,538 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Offering credits if they can't deliver the speeds? That's a really good idea. It actually puts some onus back on the provider to fix. There is nothing worse than paying for something you are not receiving!
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can confirm that they are delivering advertised speeds. Running a speedtest this afternoon (switched from lightning 50 today) and Im getting 170 down 40 up, very impressed so far. Also my ping in Counterstrike has gone down ~20-30 ms. I will not switch back to MTS unless fiber is installed in my area.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Wow! That makes me want to switch too. MTS really needs to start upgrading to fiber in existing areas of Winnipeg. I had a friend on lighting 50 with MTS and could only get up to 28Mbps download max.
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Is this wifi or wired speeds? Wifi in general is tricky for many reasons.

But I'd call tech support first to confirm their modem is provisioned for 50 meg service. Easiest way is to view the main login page of the MTS modem in a web browser by typing 192.168.100.254 (you don't need to change any settings, or enter a password to view it.)

It should look like this, except the it should be around 50,000 kbps down and 5,000 up.
(Edited)
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 28,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Something else to keep in mind is even if you have a Fion service addressed the prices are still far higher than this current Shaw promo. Matter of fact Fion 100 is more expensive per month than Bell's Fiber150 in Ontario.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Internet Competition.

Shaw is now offering a internet plan of 150Mbps download and 15Mbps upload, at $49 for 1 year and $79 for the second year in a 2 year term. Can MTS compete on this in some way? I know most people can only get Lightning 50 as a max and some areas in and outside of Winnipeg can only get Lightning up to 5Mbps and Shaw can offer 150Mbps in those same areas. That's a little embarrassing MTS. Don't know exactly if Shaw will actually deliver those speeds but it should be a lot more faster then Lightning 50 or just Lightning.
Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

• 4,326 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
are there any updates to this regarding speed? Thanks.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 28,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The CRTC mandate for 50/10 service really shifted priorities not just for BellMTS but industry wide in Canada.

For Bell MTS to offer 150 service the customer needs to be moved to fiber. The challenge is the staff and machinery needed for that is that same that needs to be used on the 50/10 target which is going to focus on mostly dense rural customer targets such as towns that don't currently have access.

This means customers in more urban settings like Winnipeg that are already themselves underserviced by Bell MTS will have no opportunity to move to faster services to access things like 4K tv or to enable lots of smart home features, possibly until 2031 or later.

And before someone blames Bell, MTS dug themselves into this hole which in part was well they needed to be sold.
Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

• 4,326 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the explanation