When data is being transmitted over the Ethernet cable from my PACE 5186N gateway to my PVR it interferes with my wifi connection.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
A year ago, when MTS brought their fibre optic service into my house the hardware was installed in the remotest corner of my basement.  I soon noticed that the wifi signal on my iPad was always weak at any distance from the PACE gateway and at times so bad that I could only get a strong signal while in the bedroom directly above the modem/router.  I phoned MTS support and asked if the gateway could be moved upstairs and got the impression that it would be inconvenient for MTS and therefore expensive for me.  The tech did take some time at his end trying to improve the wifi signal strength but failed to resolve the problem.

Because I was getting a good internet connection on my desktop computer via an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Pace, I decided to run an Ethernet cable from another LAN port on the PACE upstairs to a new router.  This solution had a curious result in that sometimes I was getting the  the service expected from my Lightning 25 plan and other times was unable to connect with the new wifi network I had created.  Just by remote chance I noticed, then confirmed that my wifi connection was affected only when my TV was on.

MTS support and my router support both thought it was strange that a TV could interfere with wifi but could suggest no solutions.  I then had a closer look at the PACE gateway and realized that my MTS TV service was routed from a LAN port by Ethernet cable to my PVR and from there to the TV set itself.  It dawned on me that I could remove the TV from the equation by recording something on the PVR while the TV was off and then checking the wifi signal while the recording was in progress.  Eureka, I have proved that the problems with my wifi are caused only while digital signals are being transmitted from the LAN port on the PACE gateway to my PVR.  What is the answer to this problem?  I see that The PACE and the PVR both have co-axial cable ports and wonder if the MTS TV service should be routed that way?
Photo of Marshall

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,536 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I had a customer who had basically the same problem. I swapped the pvr AND the modem, and it was still happening. I ended up unplugging a wired garage door monitor system from the Pace unit. As soon as I did, the problem disappeared.

The whole service (TV and internet) are IP based, so they share the connection to an extent. The TV service is supposed to be separated from the internet via the firmware in the Pace. I don't know much about it, but it involves things like multicasting, quality of service, and I think VLAN tagging.

In any case, there may be something on your network causing this issue, and not the Pace unit. They have been rolling out a firmwarw update on the newer Pace units, which I believe is supposed to help with overloading of the unit (saturating your internet, whether intentional such as torrenting or unintentional such as a virus)

The problem may also lie in having an improperly configured third party router plugged into the Pace. There is a generic guide available from MTS for their recommended settings of a third party router, however they don't provide support for non-MTS equipment.

This is not an official answer, just my experience.

Good luck!
Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,634 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like Jesse has hit it pretty well on the head, but one additional piece of info I can provide regarding your 3rd party router setup.  Ensure you have DHCP disabled in the device.  If your router is continually trying to pull an IP from the RG it can certainly cause issues with the TV service and may even be having an effect on the overload your RG seems to be having.
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,536 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Oh and as far as the coax, they can be used to feed the secondary/non-pvr boxes instead of Ethernet cable, but Ethernet is now the preferred method. Of course, in most homes it's not exactly feasible to replace all the cable, so if it's good quality RG6 and the proper HPNA type of splitter, it'll work just fine.

I've heard that other companies using this exact system run all the set top boxes on coax, but MTS wants the main pvr set top box always fed via ethernet directly off of the Pace unit.