Website text.mtsmobility.com wont connect.

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
I recently had to wipe my hard drive and reload Windows 10. I imported my bookmarks and found the website text.mtsmobility.com will not connect. All other webpages are ok. Tried on 2 different browsers on my desktop, and it wont connect with my tablet either. This page works on a VPN for me. I do not have any other firewall. Any ideas?
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,608 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Scottmandu,
That is a bit of an odd issue, but I have seen it before.  The last time I saw this problem it was IP related.  The affected device and the website in question's IP were under the same subnet.  You can check that out.  From my digging it appears that the IP for the text.mtsmobility site is 205.200.205.XX If your IP is under the same subnet you will have issues.  
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. So how can I tell if my IP is under the same subnet?
(Edited)
Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,608 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
In a browser go to www.ipchicken.com, this will show you your current IP address. 
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

My IP address and text.mtsmobility.com [205.200.205.83]  are not on the same subnet. I do not have any firewall rules blocking any MTS sites. Any other ideas?
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 26,752 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There is another option if you want to send a text from your desktop  and that is using your email.

You just enter the 10-digit cellular number @text.mts.net as the email address . Do not include any spaces or hyphens. For example, 2045551212@text.mts.net.

Even thought you use email it will show up as a text to the person receiving it.
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

Hi Clifford....your suggestion works just fine. I am just puzzled why text.mtsmobility.com doesn't work any more because I have used in the past.
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,526 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I don't know about now, but a long time ago, one of these methods used to incur a per-text charge of .25 I think.
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

Now that you mention it JG you may be right about a charge in the past for email to text. I vaguely remember getting a charge when I tried it before, but that was back years ago with a different MTS cell plan.
I tried the email to text earlier in the day to see if it still worked so if I get a texting service charge on my next bill I now know what its from.

The web based one says its free
(Edited)
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

I'm just looking at the site on my pc and its showing up as text.mts.net when I access the link from the "How to send a text message" page.

I wonder if you can try to get to it with that address?
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

Hi...I have tried that link on that page (https://www.bellmts.ca/residential/wireless/send-a-message). There is a "Send a Text Message" and "Send a Page" links. The "Send a Page" link works, but the "Send a Text Message" link times out.
Photo of Justin

Justin, Official Rep

• 1,220 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good Day Scott,

I've escalated this issue to our support team regarding 205.200.205.83 (text.mtsmobility.com / text.mts.net / text.bellmts.ca) I suspect that some leg of the route between certain IPs and the host was not updated to allow connections from those IPs, in my experience this can happen sometimes when we roll out new IP ranges to the wild.

We'll be in touch again once there's some feedback or need any testing done, but in the mean time emailing the Email-2-SMS gateway (tendigitnumber@text.mts.net) would be a work around.

Regards,
Justin
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

Thanks for escalating this issue. I called Bell MTS support for some help specifically about this a couple of days ago. They were stumped and couldn't help me.
Photo of Justin

Justin, Official Rep

I am sorry to hear about that experience, when you get a chance, can you try and go to text.mtsmobility.com (text.mts.net / text.bellmts.ca) and see if the website is loading for you now.
Photo of Scottmandu

Scottmandu

I am now able to reach both websites text.mts.net and text.bellmts.ca...thanks. I sent a message to my phone and it is working fine. What was the issue?
Photo of Justin

Justin, Official Rep

There was a routing issue between certain IP ranges and the server that hosts the website. Using a VPN or web proxy would have also worked around the problem.