VoLTE, WiFi Calling, HD Voice between carriers.

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Is there any chance we will be seeing WiFi calling anytime soon or VoLTE? Rogers and Bell have both of these. Also any possiblilty to see HD voice between carriers?
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

• 9,754 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
  • Upset

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Matt

Matt, Alum

• 1,440 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Dan,

Thank you for your question. We have no plans to deploy Voice over Wi-Fi or Voice over LTE in 2016. Voice over WiFi is a great service which expands the reach of Wireless services seamlessly to anywhere a good Wi-Fi connection exists. VoWIFI includes Voice, Text, and Picture messaging in it. These services depend on a deployed IMS core. IMS represents an evolution in telecom, and begins the transition to an all IP network, phasing out many legacy telecom technologies over time.

A typical IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) deployment involves (or will involve) connections between operators. When this occurs, the HD voice will be end-to-end. Operators that are not connected to each-other will be forced to route the calls over the public phone network, and those calls will not be HD voice.

While we do not have plans for deployment in 2016 - we are actively investigating, and are working towards a technology plan that will outline our next steps.

Matt
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,970 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Voice over WiFi was an innovation to address coverage issues where there were large gaps in the cell signal but there was reliable high speed Internet. Commonly this occurs when you are outside a carriers home region.

VoLTE (voice over LTE) is designed to off-load voice to the LTE bands from the more congested HSPA. It is likely over several years HSPA will eventually be turned down and LTE or something newer will take its place. By migrating users to VoLTE carriers can also take a portion of HSPA spectrum and convert it to LTE which includes the highly profitable data side.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

I am sorry I have to leave MTS Wireless, but Rogers is offering me a $200 credit to port my number over brining my own device, so I can take advantage of these networks options like voice over wifi and LTE
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,512 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Just an FYI...the devices that are actually compatible with Rogers VoLTE at the moment are fairly limited....the Iphone 6S, Galaxy S6, the LG G4 and the G3 Vigor are the only compatible devices at the moment.

Wifi calling is also only available in its true form on iphone 5c and higher. If I am not mistaken...it is also impossible for the call to transition from wifi to the cellular network unless you are using VoLTE as well.

The closest you will get to WiFi calling on other devices is by using the Rogers One Number service and app. It does work...but it can be a little buggy and glitchy at times.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

I have confirmed with them that VoLTE will work iPhone 6 and higher. And wifi calling will work just as any other type of call and you can pull the call from wifi to cellular without dropping the call.
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
In a pinch (low to no reception but WiFi available) I've been using a free VoIP app. The quality isn't great, but it does the trick. I rarely use it, but it's nice to have.

With how fast technology changes, I'm sure it won't be that long before most providers move to VoLTE & WiFi calling. Best of luck.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

As Matt stated MTS has no plans in 2016 to launch any of these.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

For either VoLTE of WiFi calling to matter you need to be in a minority that still uses a significant number of voice minutes.

Next VoLTE needs both sides of the call to have compatible phones and ideal network conditions. Even then it is not like the difference is between some inaudible garabage and a pristine connection.

In terms of WiFi calling, as previously stated it is mostly meant for when you have a great Internet connection but no or marginal wireless signal, most common when you are outside your carrier's coverage area. I have never used this one but don't really see the attraction.

In terms of supported devices the list is a lot longer than the one above. For example the BlackBerry Z30, Passport, Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus are all also supported. The Nexus 6P and 5X also have VoLTE support but it is unclear if it works with Rogers.

For most people I think data speeds and how much is included with their plan matters far more than if VoLTE or WiFi calling is supported.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,512 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Dan: when you describe being able to pull the call from cellular to Wifi or vise versa...that sounds like they are describing using the Rogers One Number app...which does permit that. It allows you to call and text over any data network....wifi or cellilar, but is not true wifi calling. Rogers specifically states in their WiFi calling FAQ that you need to remain in the wifi coverage area while on a call unless you are using an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus AND moving into an LTE area...as the call can transfer from WiFi to VoLTE only. That also implies that the 6s phones are the only iOS devices that have VoLTE capabilities at this time.

As for VoLTE devices...i looked at their phone offerings that specifically state VoLTE support. I know there are other devices...but it doesnt mean that Rogers has enabled them for use on VoLTE yet.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Thanks for all the feedback guys. iPhone 6 and newer has been updated to work on VoLTE I confirmed this and no you do not need both ends to have VoLTE I can call a land line on a Rogers phone on LTE and the call will work still. That's correct you do need to move from wifi to LTE to not have the call dropped.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Rogers definitely has enabled VoLTE on devices not listed.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Yea that's correct. As well is I see Bell now has VoLTE and WiFi calling
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Does anyone know how fast the data download speed is with Rodgers extended coverage
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,142 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In the Rogers FAQ on extended coverage it doesn't mention speed other than to say your speed may slow down in extended coverage areas.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

It would be in extremely rare cases where you would be on Rogers Extended Coverage inside MB.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Oh yeah you would not ever be on it in Manitoba. But in Sask. Yeah
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

The VoLTE works great. If I'm on a call on LTE and I go to my basement the phone switches to HSPA without dropping the call. Doesn't even notice a difference.
Photo of George Zullich

George Zullich

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Does MTS support WiFi phone calls on Android 6.0?.

I have an S6 Edge on the MTS system and have recently updated to IOS 6.x, then checked thru the phone app settings and see no WiFi call toggle settings. Does MTS currently support WiFi phone calling?
Photo of Tennille

Tennille, Social Media Coordinator

• 15,526 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi George, take a look at Matt's response above regarding deploying VoLTE. :) His answer is still current. Hopefully that helps answer your question. 

Tennille
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

• 6,710 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I really hope there is WiFi calling in the near future and be nice for volte as well.
Photo of Justin F

Justin F, Official Rep

• 1,326 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
We're excited about VoLTE and WiFi calling too, but presently do not have any set dates or devices for when this will be available. Please stay tuned!
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Once MTS enables these services they may not be available on iPhones until Apple relases an update to enable it on the iPhone for MTS
Photo of Justin F

Justin F, Official Rep

• 1,326 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That is correct Dan. iPhone's generally require a new carrier policy update to take advantage of new network technology. In some cases, a new build of iOS will be launched as well.

To load a new carrier policy, the iPhone will need to be connected to iTunes.

For an iOS update, this can be completed from the device itself, or additionally, you can connect the iPhone to iTunes, and complete the update on a computer.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

When Rogers rolled out VoLTE and wifi calling it came as just a carrier bundle update. Sometimes with iPhone you will notice a pop up saying carrier settings update and you have the choice to say ok or not now. After I hit ok it installed very quickly and that enabled VoLTE and Wifi calling right away.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

They'll probably have to be a new firmware upgrade for the Android phones I know I'm using an S7 and I think anything from an S5 up should be compatible with both.
(Edited)
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,142 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From what I have read its the S5 and up that will be able to take advantage when it rolls out.

I'm still using a S4 so its either upgrade or do without.
Photo of JT

JT

• 2,524 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled WiFi Calling..

Does anyone know yet if BellMTS will be bringing WiFi Calling in to the Manitoba market like they have in other markets across Canada?
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

It would be nice.