VoLTE is coming soon to BellMTS according to industry news site

• Praise
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • (Edited)
Canadian Cell Industry News website MobileSyrup is posting in an article dated today that BellMTS will be providing VoLTE starting sometime in December 2017

<a href="Article here">https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/13/bell-mts-launch-volte-calling-december</a>/<br><br><br>Thanks Cory B for the heads up on the article.
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,088 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

• 660 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Considering network coverage seems to generally be worse with LTE than it is with HSPA, what's the allure to VoLTE for end users?  I know people say voice quality is better, but I never thought it was that bad anyway.

Maybe I'm just too easygoing.  Haha
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,482 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Being able to browse over LTE and take a call at the same time is likely the main reason for people to be excited for it.

Another reason is that Wifi calling and VoLTE both go hand in hand...so that will likely be released as well in the near future. That will be the feature to have for people who deal with weak cell service at home and have decent wifi.

Personally...i have had VoLTE through Rogers for about 1.5 years already and usually only use it once in a blue moon. I have had numerous dropped calls in areas that have never been problems. I keep it disabled the majority of the time because of that.
Photo of Graham

Graham, RF Engineering

• 6,840 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
VoLTE will fall back to HSPA using SRVCC under poor LTE conditions, this gets extensively tested. There is always a possibility of fast fading or other aberrant event when switching frequencies or technologies though.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

• 6,634 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Anything on wii calling Graham?
Photo of Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

When I was with Rogers I really liked Wi-Fi calling since the cell coverage we had here wasn't the best.  Never thought to try VoLTE though but since there wasn't an LTE signal where I spent the majority of my time I never really thought about it.  Usually have LTE turned off on my phone anyway.

Now with the new tower being on I suppose it might have some merit, but at the same time I have a way better HSPA signal in my house than I do LTE (especially downstairs where my office is, and the difference is 1 "bar" of LTE vs full "bars" of data.  Thanks to iOS 11, no more numerical signal meter in field test mode either.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Ahh Apple lover. Lol
Photo of Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

Haha, who said anything about loving apple?  I really don't care about handsets at all.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Well I guess everyone has their opinion I prefer the Androids. Lol
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

I'm not familiar with them but they are immensely popular so they must be pretty good.

I've had a bunch of iPhones, nothing ever really changes, I don't mind that.  It does everything I need it to do.

Photo of Justin

Justin

• 3,638 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I saw this as well. Seems exciting. My Note 5 on some networks is a supported device for VoLte, however looking on Bell's site, it is not. Why would this be?
Also, once upon a time, MTS had something called HD Voice. Is this soemthinh that still exists?
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

• 12,804 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I do recall HD voice however I haven’t heard that term in maybe over a year
Photo of Justin F

Justin F, Official Rep

• 1,082 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
We're excited about VoLTE and WiFi calling too, but presently do not have any set dates or devices for when this will be available. Please stay tuned!
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

• 6,710 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Morning Justin so is their any set time as of yet, it's funny how this news site says volte is coming but no one from Bell MTS can confirm it or not confirm it.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

As of Christmas Day still no vo LTE.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Good morning any update on this Graham? And hope you have an everyone a great New Year.
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I'd like to know as well. I can't tell if HD voice is still a thing either.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Well January 1st tomorrow and still no volte :( happy New Year everyone
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Like I said earlier, a Bell Canada Mobility chat person in Toronto told me last week that I could go to a Bell Canada Mobility store/kiosk in Winnipeg and have them "port" my cellphone number to my Apple Watch LTE's e-SIM card and then pay Bell Canada Mobility $5 per month even though I am a Bell MTS customer since Bell Canada now owns Bell MTS. 

The only snag is that just recently, all Bell Canada Mobiity locations in Winnipeg were converted into Bell MTS stores/kiosks and as a result, such porting is not possible since Bell MTS doesn't have VoLTE!!!
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

Bell Canada reps in Toronto have little knowledge of BellMTS. I had to argue with a Bell Mobility Rep that BellMTS even has Flat rate data when I called them on behalf of a friend. Don’t believe everything you hear from a Bell rep without confirming with a BellMTS rep as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

The crazy thing is that although Bell Canada now "owns" Bell MTS, a current Bell MTS customer cannot switch to Bell Mobility without incurring a cancellation fee and vice versa.
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

They may change that in the future though.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Is there any update Graham on vo LTE? And the improvements on Brandon South was there a new tower put up? Thanks
Photo of Graham

Graham, RF Engineering

• 6,902 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately I can't comment regarding VoLTE, there will be some communication coming in the next while.

Brandon SOuth we have done some optimizations to the tower before the holidays, there is a tower planned to augment that area in 2018, subject to all the usual gotchas.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Thanks yes it does also seem to be a bit better in Brandon East that I have noticed when I've been there but moved from Brandon a few years back
Photo of Justin F

Justin F, Official Rep

• 1,082 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello mcmanone!

We still have no official update on VoLTE, however once we do, we will be sure to let our community forums know.

Have a great day! :)
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Still, no volte or wifi calling on bell/mts will it come ?????
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,088 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Looks like it is turned on for the Bell cell side in Manitoba if you look at the Bell mobility Web page.

I vaguely recall reading or hearing somewhere a few months ago that the MTS cell side has a different network core and can't support volte/wifi calling. The only way to get it was to move from BellMTS to Bell to get this option.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 3,638 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Well of course! Lol
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I switched to Ro...uh another provider last week
Photo of Graham

Graham, RF Engineering

BellMTS continues to provide the majority of your coverage so continue to let us know if you notice anything amiss! Thanks for being engaged.
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

With VoLTE coming soon to BellMTS, does that mean I will be able to purchase an Apple 3 Watch with LTE and go jogging and my leaving my iPhone at home?
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

So does that mean that volte is comeing Graham ?
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Anyone??
Photo of Graham

Graham, RF Engineering

Unfortunately I can't comment on upcoming services or future plans. 
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

Thats too bad that you can't say..