URC6246 Big Button/Senior Remote problems?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Are you able to contact the manufacturer to find out if there is a known problem with these remotes? Apparently if a mistake is made during programming, the remote glitches and no longer controls the set top box. The manual does not mention how to factory reset it either.

I love these remotes as they're very helpful for elderly people, but if they aren't reliable, they may be more trouble than a regular remote.

Side note, the MXv4 learn feature doesn't work on the power button. I think it's a design flaw.

Thanks
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,714 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jesse,
You are actually not the first to mention this issue with the big button remote.  Our testing actually found that the factory reset of the remote is what causes it to loose the connection with the STB.  It is something we are looking into but at this point the only solution is to replace it.

As for the learning function on the MXv4, there are some buttons that cannot be used for the learn function, the power button as well as the mode buttons would be among them.  This is common with universal remotes as there are certain buttons that have to maintain their primary function.
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the reply. I thought it might've just been a design flaw, as the STB & TV buttons light up simultaneously on the MXv4, not sequentially like the previous models. I often use the "TV/video" button to learn TV power instead and just show them. Either way, these remotes have come a long way from the original classic remotes.

The 3rd generation classic remotes (Atlas?) were awesome. I once used the learn feature on one for a customer migrated to Ultimate. It was tough, but I got it working. More of a proof of concept really. Don't want to create needless calls to tech support (I left the new remote as well.)

PS. RCA TVs almost never work with any of these remotes, even WITH the learn feature!