RIP MTS... 1905 to March 17, 2017. You will be missed

• Praise
  • Updated 11 months ago
Today is a sad day in MTS history.... Bell officially takes over.

My prediction is that over the next 12 to 24 months we can look forward to more data caps, higher cell phone rates and poorer customer service.

RIP MTS :(
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

• 4,744 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

• 660 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
MTS customer service was terrible anyway, their DSL is so congested and slow it's almost unusable in the evenings and on weekends and holidays and their techs would always blame the customer.  In spite of all this their prices would continuously rise yet the service would never change.  Their cell phone data and roaming packages are garbage for anyone who leaves the province.

How about the classic "We need to send a technician to your residence.  They will be there in 10 days and will show up between 8AM and 4:30PM".

Yes, because I don't mind that my internet isn't going to work for 10 days and I don't have a job to be at from 8AM until 4:30PM. /sarcasm

I say good riddance.
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

They just posted this
https://www.mts.ca/residential/hello-...

MTS is now BellMTS

It’s not often that a coming together of two companies brings such benefits to the customers and communities served by both, but that is what is happening today. MTS has been serving Manitobans for over a century and brings the learning and deep understanding of the specific needs of Manitoba’s consumers and businesses. Bell has been serving Canadians for well over a century and brings the scale and resources necessary to position Manitobans at the forefront of an increasingly global ecosystem.

Together Bell and MTS - now called Bell MTS in Manitoba - will invest $1 billion over 5 years in the province and will amongst other things:

Introduce significantly faster Internet speeds
Expand Manitoba’s mobile network coverage, with data speeds at least double those currently available
Provide world-class broadband and mobile network coverage to northern and other remote parts of Manitoba

Bring continuous wireless coverage along Manitoba’s highways

Launch innovative TV and streaming services including CraveTV

Roll out the best whole home Internet WiFi services
Provide businesses in Manitoba access to the largest data centre and fibre network in the country

These advancements will deliver profound benefits to consumers and businesses alike which is why with Bell and MTS together, today just got better.
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

I personally disagree with the last statement on the last line
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Anyone see this yet?
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

Yes... I posted it above your comment
Photo of thisis myname

thisis myname

• 814 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Everyone is impressed by the one billion over 5 years...MTS would have spent $480,000 over that same timeframe..so its not that big of a deal.And it will be awhile before we see any improvements..transition is going to take considerable time.It's not like Bell is going to replace all the equipment overnight..lol
Photo of ertyu

ertyu

• 1,884 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
And interestingly, Sasktel will spend $1.4B over the next 5 years.
Photo of thisis myname

thisis myname

Advantage of being a Crown utility..you have to adequate provide service to everyone.It's not all about shareholders.
Photo of Wally

Wally

• 3,518 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Not so! With all our years with mts as a crown utility, you would think we would have better service than the slowest rural internet in the entire country! 
Photo of thisis myname

thisis myname

Maybe I misunderstood..SaskTel as a crown is spending more money providing adequate service for all..MTS as a private corporation spends their money based on share return.MTS hasn't been a crown for almost 20 years and service has got worse over the years being privately owned.