No service

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
No service in st claude as mts took away gsm network and now I'm paying for a service that doesn't work , is mts going to fix this only got my phone 6 months ago and didn't has prioblems til now ugh
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • fustrated angry

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,970 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
MTS never offered a GSM network only CDMA, EVDO, HSPA and LTE.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

• 9,754 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The GSM network is owned and operated by Rogers, MTS had access to their network, but probably not anymore with the Bell take over.
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

to
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

But it sucks that they took it away without warning because now we have no service what so ever
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

But MTS never offered GSM in the first place so it wasn't their's to take away.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,512 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Probably not. My guess is that the re-negotiated sharing agreement with rogers does not include access to the 2G network anymore.

In fact...I would not be surprised to see MTS HSPA traffic in Winnipeg unloaded to Telus sites in the near future...since the majority of HSPA there is actually provided through Rogers ownes sites.

I would call and give them exactly one chance to explain the situation. If they cant provide and answer, then off to the CCTS. Customers were told that coverage would not be affected by the buyout...which is obviously not the case for those that relied on 2G.
Photo of ARKAY1_SID

ARKAY1_SID

• 2,054 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I have noticed MTS has been adding antennas and spectrum to Rogers owned sites in the city. It shows on the cell tower map.
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

There sure as heck not doing that for rural communities we are stuck without service and are being told to pay for our bills
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

It's actually Rogers adding it to their own towers as part of the shared network.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

I dont think that is the case. Rogers owned sites have been showing up as having MTS spectrum ever since they started sharing, and vice versa.

Besides...with Telus having a fairly large network in Winnipeg...i would not be surprised to see them moving traffic over to their network. MTS also has a large number of their own sites used for CDMA. There's litterally no reason for them add spectrum to Rogers owned sites.

The plus side is that Bell does offer wifi calling. Its only a matter of time before that is made available to MTS customers. For those who have decent wifi...it is at least a very decent stop gap for those with poor indoor coverage.
(Edited)
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

What is ccts? And how do I contact them ? I have relied on 2g and now I'm stuck on a 2 year contract with no service
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

The CCTS is the commissioner for complaints for telecommunication services. If you Google CCTS, you will find their website and steps on how to contact them.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

You can complain all you want to the ccts. MTS will tell you wireless service is not a guarantee and the service can change without notice. It's in the fine print just read it.
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

Actually it is a guarantee maybe u need to look into things more I'm waiting on ccts site as we are talking
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Not sure CCTS will help in this case. MTS was clear they never offered GSM even when you signed your contract. You could try them. You still are provided service though and could take the early exit from your contract by paying off the remaining cost of the phone you took.

It sucks but is something you should have verified within the trial period of your contract.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

It was offered as part of the sharing agreement though, even if it wasnt advertised as such. MTS has even advertised its use, and sometimes promoted it on this site in the past. Most average users dont understand the difference between the different network types. All they knew was their phone worked well at home, and then suddenly stopped.

Bell taking over and telling customers that coverage areas will remain the same/improve and suddenly people that had coverage are losing it is definitely a justifiable complaint.
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

They aren't subject to change our services I have read my contract over and over and they assured me I would have service in st claude , if they would take our services away, they didn't even warn anyone nothing there gonna loose a shit ton of customers if I can find away out of this contract without paying I will because I'm not rich so I can't pay out the contract
Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,716 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Echo
The image you posted looks similar to an iPhone.  If you have an iPhone, or any HSPA device, you should still be able to get service.  From what i can see HSPA service in St. Claude may not be the best but it should certainly be usable.  If your device is showing no service you may have to manually select MTS as your carrier.  If it was defaulting to Rogers GSM network initially there may be something else going on and manually assigning to MTS may help.
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

Just gsm now nothing have to drive 20 min away to get service
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

If it helps any an mts guy was here in the town today and he couldn't even use his phone so that tells u something
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

The nearest HSPA tower to you looks like it's about 11KM away in Haywood. Do you get good service there? Depending on the terrain, I would think you should get a signal in St. Claude with being around 11-12KM away, I wouldn't expect a great signal but you should get something. Which direction are you driving when you get signal?
(Edited)
Photo of Echo Dale

Echo Dale

Towards portage trust me if an mts guy doesn't get anything then there's seriously something wrong
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Possibly the Haywood tower has an issue.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Was ripped off by a friend that Rogers is heading towards a GSM (Edge/2G/E) turndown in approximately 18 months or sooner. As that service is end of life it could explain why it may have been excluded when Bell MTS and Rogers redid the network share agreement.

Edit: The GSM turn down is similar to what MTS/Bell/Telus are doing with their old CDMA service. These are all likely to free up some bandwidth for the upcoming 5G services.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

I've heard this too. I've always heard mixed rumours though that rogers still makes money off roaming fees when people come to Canada with GSM only cell phones.