Newest modem MTS provides was installed (2 Sept 2015) - best download rate is 26 Mbps.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
So with the newest (N) modem I can get 26 Mbps download (hardwired). Close the modem I can get 20 Mbps WiFi. 20 Ft away in a bedroom the signal drops to 10Mbps. The interferecne explanation was provided to me by the MTS service tech. Question: Why should I pay for the lighten Bolt Plan (32Mbps) when the best I can ever get is 26Mbps (hardwired). Why not stick with the cheaper Lightening 25 plan. I don't use the extra features of the Bolt plan to my knowledge.
Photo of Dale Coulson

Dale Coulson

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Peter Parker

Peter Parker, Champion

• 2,610 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Lightning Bolt is an old plan that MTS no longer offers.  It also shares bandwidth with your TV service; you lose ~4 Mpbs on Standard Definition and ~8 Mpbs on High Definition per stream that is in use.  If you have the TV Service I'd recommend switching to Lightning 25 to save a few dollars and get a more dependable internet speed that doesn't get effected by you watching TV or recording multiple shows.
Photo of Fossill

Fossill

• 1,280 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the email and the info, but this isn't my concern!! Got me mixed up with someone else!!
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,758 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Depending on your profile the Lighting Bolt plan could in theory be providing a full 32 Mbps now as some modems have the new 50 Mbps profile. On a 50 profile you would have 18 Mbps available for TV which should handle the maximum of three HD streams.

That said, Lighting25 is likely a better choice as it costs less than Lighting Bolt.

The distance with performance decreasing on WiFi as you move away from the WiFi source (modem) is common across all WiFi signals.