MTS making it difficult to renew contract due to high price...

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
MTS making it difficult to renew contract or remain loyal due to high price... for example...

I am off contract now and check daily for a great deal to upgrade to the Galaxy S8 device... in the past phones ususally go down to $0, especially around holidays or have specials etc.... are these days gone now? I check almost daily and the lowest price from MTS is $289 plus a $40 activation fee!!!!!

Costco offers the same phone on a 2 year plan with Rogers for $19.99 total plus they throw in bonus minutes, a car charger and a $175 gift card.
Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

• 4,326 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 28,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Something to watch out for is other carriers now have advertised rate plans that increase your monthly plan by $10 to give you a lower upfront price on the phone. You can get the same phone and same plan for the same cost by either preparing or deferring to the $10/month few.
Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

that was on a $60 a month plan (yesterday)
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,218 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't know if its because I bought my new S7 for cash last month instead of the lower priced contract rate or because I went to one of the 2 new Connect stores but the manager said there was no activation fee charge.

BellMTS also has the premium smartphone and premium smartphone plus plans with the $10 price difference on the S8. Free phone on the plus plan for $10 more a month and $289 on the standard plan.
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
First off, even though BellMTS is owned by Bell Canada, Bell Canada charges a $25 activation fee while BellMTS charges $40.  A BellMTS rep told me she "couldn't" (i.e. won't) match Bell Canada's $25 fee and that part of the $40 fee is for the cost of a brand new SIMCard even if a customer wanted to use her existing SIMCard.  No $15 saving there!

If you notice, if you choose the $75 per month data plan, you get the Galaxy S8 for "free".  However, if you choose the $65 per month data plan to save $10/mth which translates to 24 x $10 = $240 for a 2-year plan, the $289.99 to be paid upfront will cost you $49.99 plus 13% taxes more.

If you truly want the Galaxy S8 through BellMTS and intend to stay for 2 more years, then the $75 per month data plan at zero cost upfront "might" be your best option.

If I was you, considering BellMTS's arrogance (which it obtained from its parent Bell Canada), I would start a new data plan with Rogers at Costco.ca.
Photo of AshPie

AshPie

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My issue with upgrading my phone off my current contract is right now I have unlimited Canada wide data, if I upgrade I cannot get that same deal and my cell phone bill will skyrocket. 
Photo of JG

JG, Champion

• 4,556 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
If your contract expires and you stay month-to-month, people are speculating that they'll eventually take away the unlimited data. For me, the apparent reduction in reception is more of an issue than unlimited data.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 28,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Also keeping mind month to.month means EITHER side can end service with about 30 days notice. That means Bell MTS can send you a notice (ie a letter) saying as of May 1, 2018 that amazing grandfathered plan you U have is no longer offered. If they don't hear from you before then they have selected plan ... for you going forward.
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

If any of you is going month to month with no longer a contract, I surmise you're comparing plans from Telus, Rogers, Virgin, Fido, Bell Canada, etc., to see for the same new cellphone let's say the Galaxy S8, which carrier will give you the best bang for the bucks, i.e. $0 upfront, $15/$25 activation fee, trade-in value for your current cellphone, Gift Card amount, etc.  You would also visit The Source, Best Buy and Visions who usually give a larger Gift Card amount.  You then say to yourself "Bell MTS won't match any of its so called "competitors" and it charges $40 activation for a new contract and their sales staff justify it by saying "BellMTS gives unlimited data".
Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

Costco it is then.... thanks.
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

• 4,744 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Common theme on this site the past week....HIGH PRICES. Only going to get worse once Bell gets fully settled. 
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

Rogers just announced that it will increase the price by $5 next week!