Looks like every community on this list that was suppose to receive LTE in 2015 wasn't all true.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
https://community.mts.ca/mts/topics/n...

Here is a form on here with a list of all areas to have LTE in 2015, but there are some areas on this list that did not get LTE yet, for example Teulon and Riverton. Are these going to get LTE soon?
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

• 9,684 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Graham

Graham, RF Engineering

• 6,902 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for the posts all, good reads.

I'll try to answer a few points, but I might not get to all of them as others will have to be consulted.

Site list: Unfortunately circumstances change throughout the year and forecasting isn't exact. For example we had forecast a few of those communities to be out of capacity on HSPA, but they still have a lot of room to grow on that system. Different towns have different demographics and use cases. We will continue to keep an eye on these and all other communities.

Russel LTE Coverage:  Yup, our bad. The prediction tool was using some outdated topographical  data which would have shown the issue. We are revisiting this tower to raise it another 7 meters early in the year, it is in community consultation currently.

Binscairth: I agree the area is certainly an issue, I'm surprised you didn't make too much headway if a substantial community contribution was proffered. Unfortunately to erect a tower, add HSPA equipment, (with baked in costs for upgrading it every technology cycle), transport, and OpEx for maintenance,  100k would only be a fraction of the build.

There is a community funded model that some communities have taken advantage of where the town floats the initial cost and it is recovered by the community monthly based on additional subscriber adds and upgrades over time that could be an option.

Dx, can you send an email to community@mts.ca c/o me regarding who you approached and their response? I'll personally get an estimate of the costs to erect a tower with equipment after consulting with the specific groups and get back to you with what we would be looking at. 

One additional caution, setting up a booster to repeat/broadcast an unconstrained signal outside is highly frowned upon by industry canada (and carriers) as it will cause any number of technical issues. It would be asked to be disabled on discovery.
(Edited)