With the new NHL season about to start, we get a lot of questions about blackouts on certain games, channels and teams. We've pulled together some material that will hopefully help!
Why are certain NHL games not available for me to watch?
Certain NHL games are subject to broadcast blackouts that all TV providers are required to enforce. Blackouts are the result of restrictions imposed by the NHL on broadcasters and TV providers. Blackouts can be set for specific cities/communities, or for a defined region - which can include entire provinces or territories.
If I have NHL Centre Ice, will I be able to get all NHL games?Games shown on NHL Centre Ice are also subject to blackout restrictions. Blackouts remain intact as the local regional sports network has the rights to air these games in a specific area. How this works:
- All Nationally televised NHL games are blacked out on NHL Centre Ice in all Provinces and Territories.
- Winnipeg Jets games are blacked out on NHL Centre Ice in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories & Nunavut.
- Vancouver Canucks games are blacked out in British Columbia and the Yukon.
- Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers games are blacked out in Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories & Nunavut.
- Toronto Maple Leafs games are blacked out in Ontario (Excluding the Ottawa region).
- Ottawa Senators & Montreal Canadiens games are blacked out in Quebec, Ottawa Region, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland.
Rogers Sportsnet has the rights to broadcast some NHL games in only a few markets. These games will be blacked out in Manitoba.
- Vancouver Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific can only be viewed in British Columbia and the Yukon
- Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers games on Sportsnet West can only be viewed in Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories & Nunavut.
- Montreal Canadiens games on Sportsnet East can only be viewed in Quebec, Atlantic Canada & Ottawa and surrounding areas.
- Toronto Maple Leafs games - rights to Maple Leafs games are split between TSN4 and Sportsnet Ontario.
- TSN3 - will feature Winnipeg Jets games. Jets games will be blacked out for customers outside of Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Northwest Ontario.
- TSN4 - will feature Toronto Maple Leaf games. Games will be blacked out for customers outside of Ontario.
- TSN 5 - will feature Ottawa Senators games. Games will be blacked out for customers outside southeast Ontario, Quebec & Atlantic Canada.
Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators games broadcast in French on RDS & RDS Info can only be viewed in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and those portions of Eastern Ontario consisting of Ottawa-Hull, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke (Designated Market Areas).