KRACK

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
Is MTS planning to push a firmware update for the routers and extenders to deal with the new WPA2 vulnerability Key Reinstallation Attack?
Photo of PJ Rogers

PJ Rogers

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,970 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This is definitely a major issue that BellMTS needs to address. The challenge is it is very much an emerging issues so a fix today seems unlikely but if it is happening several weeks from know there are big concerns.
Photo of dan ruppel

dan ruppel

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I would hope that customers will be informed of what steps will be taken and when.
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,142 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am sure  that Pace and the other  box providers are under pressure to crate/ test / issue software fixes for this  to all the cable and telco companies so they can start pushing the fix to the end customer boxes.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Pretty sure the orignal VDSL "2Wire" gateway is out of support from.the vendor which would make hardware swaps necessary to address this issue. That gets into the question on availability of hardware swap units.
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

This mornings Free Press says that BellMTS has reached out to their suppliers for software updates so at least we know they have started the process.
Photo of Tennille

Tennille, Social Media Coordinator

• 15,526 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes, thank you Cliffrod. :)  We have to ensure that the software of manufacture's equipment is all encompassing to resolve the vulnerabilities. 
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

One question I have is how long will it take the public WI-fi sites that may not be managed by a 3rd party (private label service) to get updated if ever?  Is there anyway to see when connecting to the site to see?
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

I haven't done a lot of reading on this vulnerability but by high level understanding is both the wifi router and the client (is your phone) will need to be patched. The Windows patch was issued yesterday.