Google Pixel

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Any word on whether or not MTS will be carrying the new Pixel phones? or will we not find out until Tuesday?
Photo of Corey Proulx

Corey Proulx

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,758 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Everything about the rumored Pixel phones is currently unknown including even if they are coming to Canada or if Google is going to sell them directly exclusively. We will have to see what is announced on Tuesday.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Pixel starts at $649 (USD) and coming to Bell, Telus and Rogers. Nothing said about MTS. In the US it is a Verizon exclusive.

Based on other carriers/Google Store:

Pixel 32 GB $899

Pixel 128 GB $1029

Pixel XL 32 GB $1049

Pixel XL 128 GB $1179

Current colours are Black and Silver. There was also a blue announced but it does not appear to be up anywhere.

(Edited)
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,088 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Cory, I guessing that's cash prices you posted?   Best Buy just sent me a pre-order email and they are in the $399 to $549 price range on a "select 2 year plan" with any  of the 3 Canadian carriers you listed.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

You could get the Pixel XL with 32 GB for about $350 on the right plan at other Canadian carriers.
Photo of Nico Basson

Nico Basson

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Rogers will give you a free ChromeCast and $50 Google Store credit and charge $200 for the Pixel and $350 for the Pixel XL. Probably the best deal you will get in MB.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

For clarity Rogers includes the Chromecast released last year ($45 value). Telus is offering a straight $100 Google Play credit. The credits from both Rogers and Telus have expiry dates though. When I had looked Bell and MTS did not having pricing and promotions for the Pixel line on their websites.
Photo of Nico Basson

Nico Basson

Telus reception in MB sucks though, Rogers actually have good coverage. Bell has pricing up for the Pixel at 400 and 550 respectively.
MTS will probably not carry it as their phone selection is most likely done by someone's tech illiterate grandpa.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

Reality is smaller carriers like MTS offer more limited selection of phones. They focus on the best selling market phones. Having been on the market seven years now the Nexus line remains a niche phone. Until Google proves different changing the name does not change those perceptions. No one's grandpa needs to get involved in that choice
Photo of Nico Basson

Nico Basson

This is not just about Nexus or Pixel. Sasktel for example is also a smaller carrier but even they offer a bigger phone selection than MTS. Limiting your device offerings makes you appear out of touch and drives subscribers away to other carriers.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

MTS is pretty open and said they were willing to work with owners of the Nexus 5X or 6P to make them function on the MTS Wireless network. They would just not carry them for purchase. If anything MTS is among the most receptive carriers in North America to accepting any device on their network. If Google got their marketing together and turned the Nexus/Pixel into a best selling phone line I am sure MTS would be there to offer the devices on launch. It is very telling when AT&T, Verizon,  T-Mobile and Sprint all pass on a phone in US market.
(Edited)
Photo of Trent Leslie

Trent Leslie

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What, help make them work? I pulled the sim out of my note 5 and slid it in to my 6p. Lol thanks for the help mts. Don't get me wrong I liked mts I just hope when this Bell take over happens we get service upgrade throughout Manitoba ,not just Winnipeg.
Photo of Nico Basson

Nico Basson

Yeah like MTS have to do anything . "Just go buy the phone cash upfront and we will allow you the privilege of having it on our network."
Photo of Nico Basson

Nico Basson

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want a phone other than "a Samsung" then MTS is not for you.
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

• 4,744 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Disappointed. My contract is done next month and the MTS phones are almost $100 or more than Rogers for the mainstream phones. Pixel interests me and I guess I'll have to go looking elsewhere. Once I no longer have MTS cell... Might as well cancel my internet... And get Shaw 150.. So by MTS limiting their phone selection... It will cost them two products.

So there is a cost.

Only thing that I'm holding out for is... Black Friday sales... Whoever has the best deals will keep my business. :) and then I'd consider staying with a Samsung phone. But if the prices remain the same... I'm probably out of here.
(Edited)
Photo of Tennille

Tennille, Social Media Coordinator

• 15,524 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the feedback, K from Canada.  I'll pass this along to our marketing and customer teams. 

Tennille 
Photo of Corey Proulx

Corey Proulx

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Reviews are out, and its being hailed as the best android device you can buy, by a mile. I'm astonished MTS hasn't jumped on this yet...
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

As previously mentioned on this thread MTS has carried the Nexus line in the past. The Nexus phones were pretty universally slow sellers. As the Pixel phones are a replacement of the Nexus line and just hitting the market now it is hard to predict if that will change. MTS has made the call to go with the Note 7 as its feature Android device through the holiday season based on the sales records of that line. That didn't work out so well so hopefully MTS finds another device to place it in its lineup.
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,088 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Something strange is going with them being offered in Manitoba as about 1 hour ago I was looking at the corporate phone  web page for IDC communications (who apparently is the largest MTS dealer with 9 stores) and they had them listed at the top of the page. 

I am now at home about 1 hour later and they are not on the page anymore. 

So either is was a mistake on IDC's part saying they were for sale in Manitoba or they sold out of what they had as Google history shows the page with them on was from Oct 13/16

here is the cached link that showed them for sale.
(Edited)
Photo of Trent Leslie

Trent Leslie

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You can buy the phone from Google and just transfer sim card
Photo of Cal Deroche

Cal Deroche

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Only issue is doing so if far from being cost effective. Especially considering the fact that MTS does not offer a great BYOD option .
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

MTS offers a BYOD discount in line with what other carriers offer. It has been raised with the CRTC on the Wireless Code review.
Photo of catman31

catman31

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
REALLY want the pixel XL with MTS (in my opinion the best cellular carrier  in Manitoba). Sadly today, the release day of the pixel, I was extremely frustrated that MTS would not carry my future phone. Please sell the pixel MTS
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

As always, MTS fully support BYOD allowing you to use ANY phone, including the Pixel XL, you want on their wireless network. There is also a new Google store open in the St James Best Buy store that I am sure can sell you a Pixel XL off-contract for use with MTS.
Photo of Tennille

Tennille, Social Media Coordinator

• 15,524 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your feedback, catman31.  It is good to know and hear which phones interest our customers. :) 
I will pass this onto our marketing team. 

Tennille 
Photo of Rob S.

Rob S.

• 1,452 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Whatever, waiting for the Bell to ring Tennille?

Everyone will pay more, and who cares about new phones right, and you goddamn well know it. Thanks for all your help.
(Edited)
Photo of catman31

catman31

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Tenille love the support that I always receive with MTS
Photo of Steele Gluska

Steele Gluska

• 72 Points
Any new on whether they will be getting the google pixel?
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As mentioned above the Pixel and Pixel XL are factory unlocked. Order one direct from Google and it will work with MTS.