Does New SIM Card constitute a change in mobile plan?

• Question
  • Updated 7 days ago
Since Bell bought MTS, the starter plan went from $20 to $35 and because of that I have been very reluctant to sign a new contract. For that reason, I am still using my old Samsung S5 but at almost 4 years old it is starting to show it's age. 

Because I have an amazing plan $20 starter, $12.50 for 200 minutes, and $27.50 for 15GB (unlimited) data for a total of $60 and with my bring your device discount down to $54, I love this plan. (That same plan is now $75-85 depending on the phone you choose)

However I am contemplating purchasing another device (unlocked but not from MTS), but it is likely it will use a nano sim vs the micro sim I have, therefore I will need a new SIM card. I know SIM cards are like $10 or $15, but I also remember reading something on here last year about how if you make any changes to your plan, your base price would go from $20 to the new $35....if I get a new SIM will that count as "changing my plan" - I don't want my price going up. 

Please let me know, because I don't want to be surprised after. 

Thank you so much for your help.
I have been very happy with my wireless service. 
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

• 4,744 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Debbie Dunmall

Debbie Dunmall

• 4,234 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
same boat,,, S5 off contract paying $37.50 for my existing plan with Total Internet... would like to move up to an S8
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 26,966 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As far as I know if you dont take a subsidized phone you can stay off contract.

I paid full price for a new phone in February and I was able to keep my existing plan minutes, unlimited MB/Canada data plan and BYOD discount. That was with putting a new sim card in as the old sim did not fit in my new S7.
Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,634 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Clifford is correct, as long as you don't need to change your plan or sign a new contract then your plan can stay the same.  If you purchase a new phone outright (from any source) or get a new SIM, then you do not need to change your plan and it should stay the same.
Photo of K from Canada

K from Canada, Champion

• 4,744 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Awesome. Thank you for clarifying this information. 
Photo of Christy

Christy, Official Rep

• 972 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Correct, all you need to do is get a new nano SIM. A dealer would create an order to remove the old SIM and add a new SIM to your account. There should be no impact to change plans/contracts as you're using your own device and it would be considered a month to month contract if you're contract is up.