As we all know from the CRTC Decision 2014-576 (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-576.htm) (http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/services/serv.htm) that you do not have to give 30 days notice before cancelling a service as of January 23, 2015.
On Tuesday April 5th I took all my TV equipment to my local MTS connect store where they processed my return and gave me a receipt. The representative at the store ensured that this would cancel my TV service.
On Friday April 8th I logged into my MTS Account (https://www3.mts.ca/mts/myaccount+login) where I noticed that TV service was still showing as active on my account. (I kept my MTS internet service). I called 204-CALL-MTS (204-225-5687) and pushed the prompts to reach the billing department. I left my name and number for callback as there was a 45 minute wait at 11am. I received a callback from a representative named Rhonda in Billing. I asked her why my TV service was still showing as active when I took all my equipment back on Tuesday. She stated in a snarky voice "Well did you call us first to tell us you were cancelling?" I told her that it was my understanding that returning equipment to the connect store would initiate the cancellation of my services especially when I had no remaining TV boxes on my account - how could I receive your services? She said that is not how it works and I MUST call first. I said ok can we cancel that now? She said I can't help you and must talk to SALES.
So I get transferred to Sales department...another 5 minute wait. Sales department was VERY nice to me, and apologized for the misunderstanding. Sales processed my TV cancellation at that very moment. I then asked, is that backdated to April 5th? Sales then told me they don’t do that! I said HOW CAN I BE CHARGED FOR A SERVICE I DID NOT HAVE? She apologized and said BILLING would have to do that. I said can you put a note on my account so when I talk to billing they don’t call me a liar. She put a note and transferred me to billing again.
Thankfully when I reached billing I didn’t get grumpy Rhonda again, I got a very nice representative by the name of Christa who said no problem, she calculated the amount, and credited my bill $5.09. Total time on the phone 20 minutes and it was resolved.
NOW..... this post is not only to tell you my experience but to ask some questions.
1. WHY does the billing system not trigger something when a customer returns all their equipment at a connect store? Is it because I kept Internet and only cancelled TV?
2. Why is it that your competitors allow their customers to return equipment at their offices and they don’t have to call first to cancel? I was not interested in waiting on hold for 45 minutes or talking to retention, I should not have to do that.
3. If you are required to call first to cancel...why isn’t this noted anywhere? And what is the reason for this other than your archaic billing system which the customers shouldn’t be punished for?
4. Why did I have to BEG for my bill to be backdated to the date of cancellation (April 5th)? How many other people is MTS billing for services they cancelled and collecting because they don’t complain? (Perhaps a complaint to the CCTS?). Your ancient billing system isn’t my fault.
5. The last billing rep Christa gave me a heads up and told me that if I were to cancel internet at any time after the billing cycle started I would have to pay for the whole month, this is in violation of CRTC 2014-576, clarify please. I plan to keep my internet but would like clarification.
6. Why did I have to talk to billing and sales? Why Can’t I talk to one representative (assuming billing) to get this all done. Seems like a waste of time to talk to 3 reps explaining my story each time.
Thank you in advance for looking into this and preventing
this from happening in the future. In the end I got my proper credits, but I want to prevent others from the same experience