Apple Watch 3 + Cellular

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I'm sure some people already know, Apple released the new watch with cellular capabilities for the first time. I scrolled to the bottom of the page, and it lists the providers that are supporting it. It lists TELUS (coming soon) and Bell (all of Canada except Manitoba and Saskatchewan). Why?!?!?
Is this something BellMTS will consider supporting in the future, or will I have to switch to TELUS??
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • let down

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,970 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The watch uses what is called an eSIM in place of a physical card. It also has two device/one phone number which I have been told isn't possible on a normal network. Clearly this requires backend updates. As the MB network is shared by at least three companies now making changes can be a complicated process.
Photo of Al Mcleod

Al Mcleod

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Ok. But when is Bell going to upgrade the Manitoba network to support the Apple Watch on the network?
Photo of gordon1111

gordon1111, Champion

• 12,824 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
From what I have heard by the media should be by the end of the year.
Photo of Al Mcleod

Al Mcleod

That would be awesome!!
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Will Bell MTS support the Apple Watch 3 (LTE) anytime soon?
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,970 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My understanding is the Apple Watch 3 exclusively uses VoLTE to make calls. Currently BellMtS does not offer VoLTE ( Voice Over LTE).
Photo of Al Mcleod

Al Mcleod

Yes. That’s been established. The question is “ Is there a commitment to offer VoLTE in Manitoba by BellMTS? If so, when?”
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,142 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There was an industry magazine report that it was coming in December but it has not launched yet.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/13/bell-mts-launch-volte-calling-december/
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

I just asked a Bell Canada rep in Toronto via Chat and he informed me that Bell Canada Mobility's Manitoba customers now have VoLTE (only Saskatchewan doesn't have it). 

He also said since Bell Canada now owns Bell MTS, existing MTS Bell customers can now buy an Apple Watch 3 LTE Cellular from Apple Store. Best Buy or Staples and go to a Bell Canada Kiosk/Store and the rep there will port your Bell MTS cellphone number (via an eSIM card) to your Apple Watch and get VoLTE service from Bell Canada Mobilty at a cost of $5 per month with one time $10 activation fee!
Photo of Al Mcleod

Al Mcleod

That’s awesome. Thanks for the update. I’m going to try it!
Photo of Cindy Best

Cindy Best

• 60 Points
I have spoken with Bell who say "yes", my bell/mts provider just has to create a "dummy" account for my apple watch, but when I called bell/mts locally, they say I have to buy out my contract and switch over to Bell..........arrgghhh.  Somebody please clear this up for me. 
Photo of Cindy Dobson

Cindy Dobson

• 70 Points
I was going to buy the watch just a couple of days ago, thinking the service was now available, but was informed it was only available for Bell and Telus customers, not Bell MTS customers. I was told I could switch from Bell MTS to a new contract with Bell in order to get the service for the watch. I have all my services through Bell MTS and would lose my bundling credit plus the contract through Bell was slightly more money. Thus, switching my contract to Bell would cost me way more money ($55-$60 per month more). I am so crushed. I wish I didn't have to feel like I am not an actual customer of Bell. I know they bought MTS, and I understand they are still two separate companies at this point, but you would think we would still get access to the services of the company that bought MTS. I hope this service is offered to Bell MTS customers soon.
Photo of Justin F

Justin F, Official Rep

• 1,326 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello!

Here are some comments from a previous thread pertaining to VoLTE:

"We're excited about VoLTE and WiFi calling too, but presently do not have any set dates or devices for when this will be available. Please stay tuned!"

We will be sure to make the community forums aware of any future updates as well.

Have a great day!
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

He also said since Bell Canada now owns Bell MTS, existing MTS Bell customers can now buy an Apple Watch 3 LTE Cellular from Apple Store. Best Buy or Staples and go to a Bell Canada Kiosk/Store and the rep there will port your Bell MTS cellphone number (via an eSIM card) to your Apple Watch and get VoLTE service from Bell Canada Mobilty at a cost of $5 per month with one time $10 activation fee!
Photo of Cindy Dobson

Cindy Dobson

• 70 Points
I wish it were that simple. I tried to get the watch, but I was told the service is not available through Bell MTS and I would need to buy a new contract with Bell. I went to Best Buy to buy the watch and they told me I needed to be a Biell customer, and then I went to a Bell MTS store and talked to a couple of different people there that said I needed a new contract through though. Bell.