5168N Bridge Mode - Connection Failing

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I noticed some time ago that the port forwarding function for GRE tunnels (PPTP VPN) was broken.  It used to work, but perhaps a firmware update broke it.
In response I purchased a 3rd party router and enabled bridge mode (Thanks for enabling it!)
However, now whenever I pin the connection for a prolonged period of time (Steam game download for example), I will lose connection and need to restart the modem.

Is this a known issue? And is there  a way to address it so that I can use the full connection capacity? I have the 50 down/5 up service.  But I need to limit the speed so that the modem stays connected. I typically limit it at 3MB/sec

I haven't pulled any info from the router yet, but if you need anything from it, let me know.

Photo of Colin Harms

Colin Harms

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Official Rep

• 18,634 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Colin,
That is some very strange behavior I have never seen before.  I've seen connections slow down when they are pinned at max speed for an extended period of time but never seen it drop entirely, especially to the point where the MTS Gateway needs to be reset.  This being said with the setup that you have it would be difficult to say for certain what exactly is causing that issue.  My best suggestion at this point, at least to try and narrow down the issue, is to start removing items piece by piece to see where the trouble lies.  Maybe start by disabling your VPN (if your still using it) second try to bypass the 3rd party router temporarily and then see if the issue continues.  If your still having the same issue while connected direct to the MTS Gateway then there could be something buggy in the Gateway itself and may need a dispatch to investigate.