2018 Price Changes

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Why is the prices for the base internet plans going up while the top end plans are decreasing? Makes a lot is sense, make it harder for the people that can barely afford the base plan yet make it cheaper for the rich that can afford the high end plans.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

• 9,754 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
  • mad with Bell

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Rose Crate

Rose Crate

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Id like an answer to that myself. Our internet bill just went up.
Photo of jared

jared

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The answer will undoubtedly be the same drivel as usual. Something about improving infrastructure and service. I can't believe they're going up AGAIN.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Yup I’m thinking they will say something like that, like how they want to provide the best service to everyone so the increase is needed to do so, yet they lower the top end plans to make those cheaper, but charge us more who only use the base plans. Internet used to be like $39.99 a month back 10 years ago. Sure the speeds are faster now but for $39.99 I’d settle for the slower speeds.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Or there will be no answer at all. I'm also tired of paying more and more and no speed increases in 20 years. 

This is beyond frustrating.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

It looks like BellMTS owes us all an answer here.
(Edited)
Photo of Clifford Lewis

Clifford Lewis, Champion

• 27,142 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'll be downgrading back to F10 from F15 once my trial expires due to the increase
Photo of jared

jared

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I disconnected my TV seasonally last year from the end of hockey season to around Sept. 15th through the summer. Also I suppose I'll have to revert down to the slowest basic internet.

The sad thing is our water and hydro bills combined are less than our BellMTS bill is, actually much less.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,512 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Personally...I see this happening for several reasons.  For starters, it serves as a way to get people to upgrade to higher tier plans.  (ie.  If the base plan is only $70, but a higher tier plan is only $80...might as well go for the higher plan as it's only $10 more per month). Secondly, as many people ditch traditional TV services in favour of streaming, the providers are looking for a way to try and recoup some of the lost revenue.  

As for cheaper options...they are out there.  Anyone living in an area that is serviced by Shaw would be wise to look into CanNet. They are a 3rd party ISP, and in Manitoba, they are available anywhere that is eligible for internet access through Shaw.  They currently have a promo offer on for their 75 MBPS internet package.  Including the modem rental, it is $45.15 per month for the first 2 years. I personally know a few people that have service through them and they are very happy.  
Photo of JACK

JACK

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have no problem paying 130 bux for say the fibe 300 most of our problems is MTS never upgraded any of the DSL network so most of us are going to be paying 82 dollars a month with tax for 5/.5 and I do not live in a town in the middle of nowhere lol I am 10 mins from a town with full fiber and 20mins north of Winnipeg.  So i get to bitch and complain, if shaw was here i would be gone years ago.
(Edited)
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was on their website just now and I am concerned about their one-time $99.95 activation fee.  Yes, it you spread the $99.95 over 2 years, your $45.15/mth = $49.31 plus 13% sales taxes = $55.73/mth.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,512 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The $45.15 I quoted was the final price including tax.  The promo code at the top of the page adds a $70 discount on the installation fee as well, so you are only paying $29 for the installation. If you spread that install cost out over 24 months, it's only  $46.37 per month all in.  Still less than either BellMTS or Shaw's promo pricing in most cases.   
Photo of Leo Wong

Leo Wong

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you, Dustin!  At my old apartment building, the MTS wiring is very outdated and as a result, the maximum speed I am getting is only 25 MB/s and that is by paying $7/mth extra to boost the basic 10 MB/s to 25 MB/s!  On the other hand, I had Shaw Cable before and their speed was 50 MB/s and above.  I only switched to MTS due to a past promotion and their so called Total Internet Package which I understand the home Internet portion will increase from $79.95/mth to $84.95/mth on June 1, 2018.

By switching to CanNet, I will save $33 plus 13% taxes per month which is nothing to sneeze at!

If I provide my own cable modem, I would avoid the $9.98/mth plus 13% taxes rental.
Photo of mcmanone

mcmanone, Champion

• 6,710 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I agree with you Dan
Photo of JACK

JACK

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
All of you need to file complaints to the CRTC, especially the people like myself will be paying 82 dollars a month with tax for 5 & .5 internet, speed hasn't changed in 20 years since DSL came out.