$155 a month, 2 iPhones. 0.12Mbps speeds... Bell buying MTS looks good everyday.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
If you live with slow service, be glad and fortunate that you don't get service like this from MTS. I did ask for discount and what plans they had for us. "We are aware of the issue in your town, but unfortunately we don't have any immediate plans". "Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about those charges". I just wanted to discontinue and join Bell or Rogers... Oh, no. MTS is our only choice. Sucks to be us in this town of Norway House and it's corrupted leaders. They wanted Rogers to pay them just to set up a tower here. Sigh!

Bell buying MTS looks to be our only hope here. While I'd like for MTS to continue alone, it's clear they don't have the funds to help us out in any way. And if someone replies back for me to check my settings and such, you're just as useless as MTS. It's all MTS, nothing else.

So be happy if your internet functions. We deal with this rip-off service day in and day out.

Photo of john

john

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated and angry.

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

• 9,694 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Hi John, you can use Rogers and it will work there just so you know. You should be getting faster speeds then that with the 4 bars of signal you have. I would not be so sure with Bell buying out MTS will make things much better for the North, sure they say improvements are coming if Bell does buy out MTS, but im sure Bell is only saying this to make the deal be approved. Once Bell is here, big companies like Bell only go after areas where they will make the most profit on. In Northern Ontario, a first nations group deployed their own cellular network. I've used their service and it was really fast.

Photo of john

john

Wish you were right about that first part. Actually, Rogers doesn't have coverage in town. It's coverage ends at the nearby junction here an hour away. There are cases where Rogers works here, but rare. Very rare. Our town has its own Internet service, plus we have the option of satellite internet. And MTS is our only cellular service. If other small providers work here, they're simply piggybacking on the same slow MTS network. It's over-capacitated. Been so for 3 years. Anyway, maybe this town needs to go back to the basic with smoke signals.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

That's very odd since rogers and MTS share that same tower in the town. I know MTS CDMA will travelle farther in the town.
Photo of Dustin

Dustin, Champion

• 5,482 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Weird....I just compared the 2 coverage maps, and Rogers doesn't show coverage in Nelson house, but MTS does.  Seems odd to me that with the shared network between the 2 providers, there are some individual sites that appear to be MTS only. 
Photo of john

john

Rogers and MTS do share the same network in much of Manitoba, excluding this town and some others. In our case, Rogers couldn't work out a deal with our town leadership and weren't allowed to share the tower. That's not really an issue, that Rogers doesn't work here. MTS has unlimited data capped at 15gb before slowing us down, and that's what it hads going for it here. Lol, with our slow speed it's nothing to worry about that we cross that limit. The biggest issue is MTS being fully aware of our network congestion and not having plans to fix it. How slow is our network? Heck, Opera Mini fails to work. And it compresses data.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Yes and MTS should offer you a credit! I use Rogers and I had very slow service at my address and they gave me a $5 discount on all my phones every month for a year.
Photo of Amanda

Amanda, Alum

• 3,976 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
It must be incredibly frustrating not having a decent connection, I can't even imagine!!

But to my knowledge, bringing service to remote areas is extremely, extremely costly and remoteness can often result in service degradation. Both Bell and MTS need to run a profitable business. So I think receiving a credit for your service is unfortunately a double edged sword. MTS needs to recoup their costs to continue to provide service to your community.
Photo of Wally

Wally

• 3,518 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Norway House originally paid mts to bring in a service, otherwise it would never have happened. These ridiculous speeds on a badly congested network are the end result today.
Not much of a network! If I lived there, I would have a big problem paying full price for this!

This is a prime example why mts has the slowest rural internet speeds across the entire country, even slower than the Yukon.
Photo of Amanda

Amanda, Alum

• 3,976 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
You are right, Wally. NH paid the upfront costs and MTS reimbursed the community. http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/...

Remote communities do have higher costs in general. Which is probably why 10-15 years ago the Yukon government undertook a large investment to upgrade broadband service.
Photo of Dan

Dan, Champion

Yeah Norwayhouse shouldn't have to put up with such slow speeds like that all the time. People there pay the same big cell phone bills as the people in Winnipeg who get access to LTE networks. Makes lots of sense pay the same money for less. It's hard for Manitoba hydro to provide service in Norwayhouse but customers pay the same rates all across the province for the same reliable service. Not the case with communications services.
Photo of Wally

Wally

• 3,518 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Norway House paid Mts to bring in this service. Mts paid back Norway House in just 5 years. If mts will not fix their speed/ congestion problem, then they should at least be offering discounts.
Photo of CoryB

CoryB, Champion

• 27,758 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Maybe it is time for Norway House to enter into an agreement with MTS to update the service and address the congestion issues. Norway House could front the costs and recover it over time similar to the initial service installation.